Short Films Getting Personal

I just finished watching a few videos from Hilman Curtis’s Short Films including Bridge, Embrace, American Spirit and Spinal Tap. In each one of the films, Hilman Curtis appeals to the the audience by making relatable characters divulge personal stories.

My favorite of the four was Bridge because it kept me wanting to learn more about the relationship between the two people. I think in order to have a successful short film you have to develop an intriguing relationship quickly. I think that Hilman Curtis successfully created relationships in each of his films that were able to quickly captivate the audience and leave them wanting to know more about the characters and their lives. While watching the short videos I was interested to learn more about the dynamic between the two people as and as more and more of the personal stories were told.

Subtle shifts in body language gave clues to the unspoken stories between the people, which Hilman Curtis highlighted through his close ups on hands. Tight camera angles on characters hands and faces made the short films seem more intimate and personal. The combination of real people, intimate relationships, subtle cues and personal stories made me feel a closeness with the characters and left me wishing the videos were longer.

This entry was posted in Short Films, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.