Evoking emotion

The emotion evoked in many of these films is what drew me into many of them. While Hillman Curtis’ shooting techniques are beautiful, I felt that emotion I experience while watching Bridge, Solider, and Table were surprising. While these shorts were only a few minuets long, they packed a strong emotional punch. I felt the strong sexual tension in Bridge. I felt the sadness of the solider saying “goodbye.” I felt the betrayal the women felt in Table.

Despite the emotion these films evoked, they all left me wanting more. Sometimes leaving your viewer wanting more is a good thing, but in this case, it turned me off to the shorts. I wanted more background on the story, I wanted a better ending. I felt like they just ended, like they didn’t know how to end to story, so why not just end it.

Evoking emotion can be very important in PSAs, so examining how Curtis does that could be useful when creating the narrative for a PSA. You want people to experience emotion through your message, Curtis does that well, he just leaves me wanting more.

This entry was posted in Short Films. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Evoking emotion