Professional Infographics Only, Please

I liked the message of the video, but thinking it ended on a poor topic.

One of the main points I got from the documentary is the art and skill that is needed to create successful visual elements, but they wrap up sharing sites that allow everyday users to create infographics.

If you are looking for the trends within the data or the story within it, you need to look beyond the programming and even beyond the aesthetics. Infographics aren’t created to look pretty just like they’re not exercises for programmers. Within infographics you have many different levels in terms of complexity, design and quality. Let’s not taint a potentially instrumental element to storytelling with novice renditions all over the web.

An interesting dilemma that was presented by Amanda Cox is how to incorporate more interesting textual information to complement the visuals when you have no control over how your audience experiences or navigates an interactive infographic. I think issues related to this are going to become more of a problem as we move towards interactive designs for the ultimate user experience.

This entry was posted in Journalism in the Age of Data. Bookmark the permalink.