Stuff

A very interesting story told through data and simple illustrations. There is a powerful message told through a video infographic. The most compelling aspect of the work is that each video is full of statistics yet there are none on the screen. The pictures tell the story.

The Story of Stuff project was one that I came across a few years ago in undergrad. The idea behind the project is admirable and the information that is provided is incredible. In the Story of Stuff Video “Stuff” the viewer is informed about the lifecycle of how are consumer behaviors effect people and the environment.

The view that our consumerist behaviors have been learned from years of conditioning from the government, corporations and advertising is very interesting. I found some of the information that she presents to be very compelling. For instance when she states that when we throw out one bag of trash there are 70 more bags of trash from the materials it took to create that first bag of trash.

The concept that recycling is a good start but not only solution is one that is widely accepted. I agree that the system is broken and something has to be done in order to maintain a clean planet. However the peak of pollution has already passed. I believe that in general there is a concerned effort as a whole to clean up the system and live cleaner.

This entry was posted in Story of Stuff. Bookmark the permalink.