Data Story Telling

Journalism in the Age of Data.

This film describes the benefits of creating visual data.  As technology advances, infographics, charts, and visualization become common facets in the field of Journalism.

The New York Times in particular is noted for its innovative presentations of fact in unique graphic formats which gives life, context, and a better understanding to data. I enjoy the concept behind telling a story with data. It makes a subject that might be bland and jaded, intriguing and relevant. Much like stories, there can be bad ones- data is not always presented with visual clarity. However, if an infographic is produced correctly (starting at the drawing board with many, many sketches- right Motley?) it can achieve a great response and provide a better understanding.

Personally, I like the simple graphics- The ones that are data heavy, but not overwhelming. The examples of flight patterns, for example, provide a bigger picture- but you can grasp the concept without to much distraction. Also several of the charts created by Amanda Cox from the New York Times. I think her interactive graphic on unemployment statistics was brilliant. It was categorized. Women, College Degree, Ages 25-40….and so forth. The lines in the this graphic changed based on the selections above, and were clear and legible. I also think her graphic on the National Debt was very affective.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the discussion of Eurovision Song Contest (Western Europe vs. Eastern European countries voting). It was recognized for its high interactivity. There were several variables which individuals could decide what they were interested in, and then access that data.  This particular infographic was represented with simple, strategic color use, clean typography, and nice organization. People were very responsive to this graphic for its informative nature and visible clarity.

I think the point being overall. Data story telling has become an essential part of the journalism process. It’s an art form to really create a comprehensive and clear graphic that explores data- and is information heavy without losing the plot. Visual learning/understanding with the advances in technology now serves a vital role in how we receive and maintain information.

This entry was posted in Journalism in the Age of Data. Bookmark the permalink.