The Story of Stuff

If there is one thing that Annie Leonard is good at, it is story telling. I have seen the original Story of Stuff video, so I watched “Citizens United v. FEC” and “The Story of Cosmetics.” In both cases, Leonard takes a difficult topic, simplifies it, adds some well thought out animation, and packages it for viewers. I mean it’s all about presentation, right? Leonard simplifies these issues so anyone can understand them. Not only does she elegantly package a problem for us, she blames it on the media, the corporations, the government, anyone but ME, which makes me a lot more likely to enjoy it. Woohoo, I’m perfect, the government is ruining my life.

I really enjoy the clear presentation from all videos in the Story of Stuff videos. Consumerism, toxic products, and corporate endorsements are three huge topics. I’ve seen and heard other presentations about these topics that aren’t nearly as effective. Why? Because Leonard keeps it short, sweet, and interesting.

Leonard’s videos are incredibly clear and concise. She even ends with a link that allows viewers to take the information they just learned and turn it into action. I even signed the petition after watching “Citizens United v FEC.” However, after thinking on these topics for a while, I think Annie Leonard presents these videos as truth when much of it is opinion. Personally, I agree with most of her opinions, but I was upset that I couldn’t find more information about this woman, her process, and her opinion. I would feel better about these videos if they were supported with facts and information about her processes.

This entry was posted in Story of Stuff. Bookmark the permalink.