Story of Stuff: Cosmetics

Wow…and I was about to leave the lab to go shower and use my Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner! First off – from a graphic design perspective this video is incredibly well done. I like how the producer combined a video of the woman talking with moving animations in the background. The FAQ tab at the bottom was unique — something I’d never seen before. What a great example of how interactive media can successfully share information and hopefully inspire people to make a difference. I wonder how long it took the Free Range Studioes to create this video? It was only eight minutes long, but there were so many moving parts and facts to get straight.

I liked that the animations had a cartoon-like quality. It definitely makes the scary subject of toxic cosmetics more fun and less boring. The “Story of Stuff: Toxic Cosmetics” logo was also very visually interesting, while getting across a point at the same time.

Not only is this project a great example of graphic design and animation, but the overall layout of the website is spot-on too. It’s easy to navigate, doesn’t take long to load, and points the user where they want to go effectively.

I had no idea that less than 20% of cosmetics’ ingredients have been inspected and approved. I also didn’t realize that the FDA had no authority over the cosmetics industry. Yikes! Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I’m definitely going to check out safecosmetics.org to see what they recommend to use instead of the P+G stuff.

This entry was posted in Story of Stuff. Bookmark the permalink.