An Eye into the Mind of the Creator

First, I have to say that I love the editing done with the video footage. Before I learn anything about these artists or about their work, I am captured by the artistic quality of the video itself. The video is portraying the artist and I think they did a great job a providing the “air” needed to really highlight the artist. The video content is about a creative person, so why not make the video itself creative? I don’t think it would have be appropriate to have a traditional interview style video for such creative and out-of-the-box thinking people.

I thought it was inspiring when Lawrence Weiner said that he is interested in designe because “it sets up a pattern so that people can understand where they are and determine what it is they want to do.” Without design, this world would be a very bland, cold place and I think he has a point. It helps people find their way and decide what it is they want. The life of a designer is that of a business man and that of an artist, Milton Glaser pointed out. They have to be creative but they are also creating their art for clients. It is not completely their own art but it also has some influence from the desires of the client.

What I love about the designs is how simple many of them can look, yet once you look closer you realize how intricate they really are. It truely takes a skilled designer to accomplish that. These tend to have the strongest messages, I think. The starting point of design is trying to interpret something. That is essentially what the design is meant to accomplish. Here is the visual interpretation of the content.

In the end, the designers/artists all tend to agree on one thing. That design is a social responsibility and they need to hold themselves to that responsibility.

This entry was posted in Hillman Curtis: Artist Series. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to An Eye into the Mind of the Creator