Die Neue Haas Grotesk…

Can you imagine having a typeface with that name? Thank goodness they changed it to Helvetica.

After watching a documentary named after the popular typeface, my eyes were opened to the wonderful world of typography. I’ve always been interested in type, without really knowing I was interested. I can remember designing presentations and posters on the computer back in the day, and spending hours trying to find the perfect font. What I didn’t realize was the science behind it. Type is more than just alphabet; it’s symbols that convey messages.

“Type is saying things to us all time. Typeface is expressive, a mood and atmosphere. They give words a certain coloring.” These words were spoken by designer Massimo Vignelli in the Helvetica documentary. It was very interesting and I learned just how ubiquitous the font Helvetica (“the Swiss typeface”) is. Some of my favorite products and services use Helvetica font for their logo. For example, Toyota, JC Penny, Sears, and Nestle Crunch, are just a few of the many companies that use Helvetica.

Many of the interviewees in the movie agreed with the idea that Helvetica says everything. For example, you can say “I love you” in Helvetica extra light which would seem sleek or romantic. On the other hand you could use Helvetica extra bold which would make it seem more intense and passionate. The font invites open interpretation. I’m sure if Mas Miedinger (the designer of Helvetica) were still alive, he would be proud that his font has survived over 50 years and has become the standard for modern, clear, legible, and contemporary font.

The documentary pointed out a very interesting observation. Helvetica is so universal that it almost doesn’t stand out. One interviewee described it as “the type of the city…you don’t notice it but you would miss it if it wasn’t there.” Some projects may want a simple legible modern font that isn’t to overbearing. and invites open interpretation. This could be a good or a bad thing. Some projects may want the font to stand out more. It just depends on your taste and what affect you want the text to have.

Personally, Helvetica bores me. Although it is clear, I consider it plain. I guess it’s because I have become accustomed to fonts that have more of a unique identity. For example, I use fonts like Cityscape when I want more of a chic, smooth but bold affect. On the other hand I use fonts such as Lucida Calligraphy when I want a more romantic or feminine affect. It seems as though my bran has been programmed to use the fancier stuff while shying away from the plain, simple, sans-serif fonts.

There is one thing I can take away from watching this documentary. I realized how unprofessional some of my projects look because of my choice of font. The fonts a love tend to be a little more playful. So, I can learn to appreciate a font like Helvetica when I want my work to be more on a professional level.

This entry was posted in Helvetica. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Die Neue Haas Grotesk…