“Who?” “What?”

…My initial thoughts while reading Stitch Bitch- The patchwork girl.  This tangled web of words had my brain churning trying to figure out the purpose of the piece.  At some point, I stopped trying to interpret the piece and started trying to interpret the writer.

At first I wanted to say forget it, skim the passage, and write something based off any main concept I could conceive. But it didn’t quite work that way. This writing is so interesting and intricate that it made me wonder what was going on inside the writer’s mind and what inspired her to write this piece.  “Who is Shelley Jackson and what in the hell is going on inside her head?” I thought. Sounds a little off right? But, that’s what kept me drawn into the piece.

The conclusion I came to is Shelley Jackson is a women who is not a fan of the idea of linear narratives. She see’s novels and traditional forms of story-telling as boring.  Stories that have a set beginning and end are lackluster and uninspiring which don’t keep the reader reading.  Narratives instead should take you on a journey; not one that’s preset with only one way to go; but one that allows you to choose your beginning, middle, and end.

However, Shelley doesn’t argue for the abolishment of linear narratives; she just contends it shouldn’t be the only way stories are told.  Linear narratives should be one of many ways to tell stories. I totally agree with that.  Things are changing so rapidly now days and it’s effecting the generations that are growing and changing with it.  We have many options as to how we use mediums, and the way we read narratives should be just as optional.

This entry was posted in Stitch Bitch. Bookmark the permalink.