The Evolution of Technology

Technology never dies or become irrelevant but rather evolves, changes and molds to fit the demands of the users. When reading Toward an Aesthetics of Transition it is apparent that technology only develops at the same rate as the demands and limits of the users. For example: telegraph -> telephone -> cell phone -> video conferencing -> holographic 3-D conference. While the some of the technology may prove to be less efficient it is not irrelevant. Because is it laid the groundwork for the future of similar technology.

In the article the author presents the point that there is a middle ground between the euphoria and the panic surrounding new media. What I argue is that while there may very well be a strong middle ground where most individuals find themselves I believe there are more people who currently spend more time in the euphoric state as opposed to the panic of the imposing technology.

With that said I also understand that there are some people who believe that the iPad 6.0 will cause the sky to fall. But with the developing dependence on technology in our everyday lives I feel that the divide between euphoria and panic is widening, where the majority of people side with the euphoric emotion of the emerging technology and are less skeptical of new media and technology.

While there should be ample room for both skeptics and proponents in terms of emerging technology it is fair and healthy to ask questions of the impending implications of the new technology.

This entry was posted in Toward an Aesthetics of Transition. Bookmark the permalink.