Out with the Old.

I can relate to this article by Thornburn and Jenkins. Like so many others, I’ve been accused of being “old school”. The reading suggests that people, as a whole, do not easily embrace change. The evolution of technology creates an uncomfortable environment for most consumers, as most change seems sudden and constant. A track tapes to Ipods. VHS to dvd. The demise of blockbuster, and the rise of internet streaming and sites such as HULU. It’s an fluid industry- Ruthless.

I like change, oddly enough. And I’ve chosen to study interactive media. However, I have yet to make a Facebook page or sign up for Twitter. Until 2 months ago, I had the same phone (the first blackberry ever sold) for 5 years without an upgrade. I can appreciate the benefits of social media (especially in terms of social reform), yet I strive to maintain a private life in a public world. Fortunately for me, Thornburn and Jenkins argue that old media and new media can co-exist. In fact, in most cases old media is the building block for new innovations.

I hope there is never a day when books and cinema cease to exist. Even if we read from a wireless tablet, or interact with film in 3D.  I can’t help but promote an industry driven by creativity, and trial by fire.  In fact, I want a career in this field. But I love the holding something tangible in my hand. And I cannot lie, some tech advances scare me to death. I read “A Brave New World” and “The Giver”. Just children’s books about how technology will eventually change the way we live, but with a great element of truth. How much change is too much?

I think this article does a nice job of offering two perspectives- technology is changing, yet not without the help of older forms of media. But like most consumers, I find myself constantly on the edge of technological change… a trend that will not die out anytime soon. But as history teaches us, cultures and people ultimately adapt to change- and if we need some help…I’m sure there’s an app for that!

This entry was posted in Toward an Aesthetics of Transition. Bookmark the permalink.