Helvetica Caused The Vietnam And Iraqi War

According to one typeface designer all of the troubles of the world could be linked to Helvetica. No not Hitler, Saddam or even Bin Laden, but Helvetica. A font. Before Friday afternoon, if you told me that their exists a movie about typeface I would not have believed it; yes it exists and it’s named “Helvetica”.

"Helvetica"

I don’t think about fonts. It’s not something that I really notice in my day-to-day life.  It’s just not important to me and I certainly don’t think that it could start a war (or two for that matter). But it is VERY important to the designers of font in this movie. I just could not understand where all of the passion was coming from regarding a font. One designer even stated that there are some people who like looking at women’s bottoms but his vice was Helvetica.  It’s a font.  The man gets excited about a font?

All of these various typeface designers were interviewed from Europe and The United States and they all exhibited the same enthusiasm regarding Helvetica; some of that enthusiasm was disdain but for the most part everyone was on Team Helvetica.  Really? Who are these people?  I hate to sound judgmental but I just don’t get it. I wish I could say that after watching this movie that I have a new found appreciation for fonts; actually, I don’t wish that I could say that.

I commend Gary Hustwit for a well-shot and throughly researched documentary, though I did not find the subject matter very interesting.

This entry was posted in Helvetica. Bookmark the permalink.