Ubiquitous

I have always been a font nut. I regularly have hundreds of fonts installed on my computer and am always on the search for more. The designer who said that some people are obsessed with alcohol just like others are obsessed with fonts rings true to me. But as how special we think we are, there is always more people like us who share the same obsession. Though, I doubt I could hold a flame to most typographers in their zeal to pursue the perfect font. I can be zealous when trying to find the perfect font for a layout but I doubt I would go to such lengths to constantly create fonts.

To be honest, before I saw this documentary, I thought being a typographer would have been a cool job. I still think it would be but I doubt I would have the drive to do it day in and day out. Even putting aside being creatively burnt out after creating so many fonts, it would seem to be a crap shoot whether or not a font catches on. If Helvetica had come out at a later date, would it have had the same affect on the design community? Or what if it came out even sooner than it did; by now would the design community have discarded it like it has the ideals of the post-war 50’s and 60’s kitsch design (which I love for it being both retro and still fun and alive so many years later).

This entry was posted in Helvetica. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Ubiquitous