Posted on: April 9, 2024 | By: Business Clinic | Filed under: Client Alert

Hello, my name is Lance Sigmon, and I am a current 2L at Elon University School of Law. I attended North Carolina State University for undergrad and majored in Communications Media and minored in Business Administration. After graduating from NC State and working for the North Carolina Secretary of State for 6 months, I moved to Greensboro to pursue a career in law.

During my time at Elon Law, I have had the privilege of participating in the Board, Business Law Association, and 1st Gen Society. These organizations have helped me develop relationships with different people from all types of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.

I am actively pursuing a career in law because I have seen the system be effective. Growing up, I had several friends who were displaced from unfortunate familial situations. Although I was young when this happened, I witnessed the positive aspects of the judicial system and how arguing on behalf of the victimized can bring about beneficial change. Based on these experiences, I am interested in practicing Family Law post-graduation.

I have had the opportunity to intern for both a real estate firm in Waynesville, NC, and a family law firm in my hometown, Hickory, NC. During my time at each respective firm, I developed a deeper appreciation for the law profession. The attorneys that I worked for were cordial, willing to help, and professional towards everyone who walked through the office doors. This set a positive example for how I would like to operate my future firm and the way I conduct myself moving forward in practicing law.

Despite my interests in the family law practice, I am incredibly excited to be a part of the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Clinic as a student attorney and look forward to assisting local businesses in entity formation and establishment, and intellectual property applications.

Hello! My name is Caroline Decarvalho and I am a current 2L at Elon University School of Law. I was born and raised in Connecticut and relocated to Wilmington, NC with my family in 2019. I attended UConn for undergrad and completed my major in Political Science with a concentration in Comparative Politics and Political Theory. Prior to beginning law school, I worked for a business and property law firm in Wilmington, then moved to Greensboro to pursue a career in law.

Currently at Elon Law, I serve as the Student Bar Association Treasurer, an Admissions Ambassador, and an Academic Fellow. I am involved in the Business Law Association, Intellectual Property Society, Women’s Law Association, and the law fraternity Phi Alpha Delta.

I chose to pursue law because I think it is a privilege to be an advocate for others and navigate the bureaucratic hurdles to protect a person’s rights and achieve their dreams. I very much enjoyed working on property-related matters like eminent domain and specific performance disputes. I hope to expand into intellectual property rights and corporate or in-house practice.

This past winter term, I completed an independent study on legal ethics and the use of artificial intelligence in the justice system. AI and other technologies are already being used for editing and generating ideas. There is much potential for judges and clerks to use Al to discover arguments or analyses that were possibly missed or not explored in prior cases. I’m excited to further my understanding of AI and its contribution to the legal system.

I’m thrilled to join the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Clinic as a student attorney and am eager to help local businesses with their entity formation, establishment, and intellectual property needs!

For help with your small business’s legal needs, contact Lance and Caroline at businessclinic@elon.edu.