Safety First… Or so I Thought

When we left the United States, I had little to no idea of what to expect when we landed. Based on previous experience, I have found that one of the easiest ways to learn about a new environment is to take a few minutes and people-watch. One thing became immediately clear upon our arrival in Hanoi; safety is not a priority for the people living here. The city is very densely populated and when there are thousands of people walking through the streets, speeding around on mopeds, and spending their days sitting near the roads in front of shops, I would assume that most people would take some sort of safety measures. Instead, I saw moped drivers without helmets with their babies and their dogs riding casually with them, cars ignoring all traffic lanes and lights and parking on sidewalks, and children and adults running through the streets without looking at oncoming traffic. Crossing the street here is like playing “Frogger”, and our group is slowly learning to dodge the oncoming traffic and basically run across the street while exploring. Definitely not actions that would get the seal of approval from Mom.

At first this lack of safety astounded me, but after talking to our guide, Vo, and observing the natives further, I have realized that safety simply isn’t a priority. People here are so focused on doing what they need to do to make money and survive that safety is not even a thought. Instead of spending money on helmets, the money could be better spent on food or investments to grow business. Instead of looking both ways before crossing the street, people are more inclined to rush to where they are going and ignore the cars and mopeds flying at them. In reality, there is a long list of things more important to those living in Hanoi than safety. In the past decade or so, laws have even been created to ensure certain safeties such as wearing a helmet on a moped, but these laws have not been enforced. It seems that people have simply ignored these efforts and are continuing to do as they please, regardless of what the government is trying to accomplish.

As we continue on our adventure through Vietnam, I am extremely interested to see if there is a difference in safety measures between different areas. Is it possible that the slower lifestyle in rural developments can allow for more time to be careful? I guess I will find out soon!

This entry was posted in Hanoi and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.