Be one, come all

Blog #2
Mark McGann
Hoi an

In a span of time two big sections of the excursion are down. First ha long bay, one of the most spectacularly beautiful places in the world, and then the riveting and welcoming city of Hoi An.

Hoi an, to me, is a dream destination that I will recommend it to everyone I know for multiple reasons. On the base of it, it is a smaller city with the most thriving market scene I have ever encountered. There is truly nothing of commerce that you can’t find, and if by chance you can’t find said item, you can just design it at one of the many custom shops. I designed made myself two suits, two coats I’ve never been able to find in the states, and two pairs of shoes. All of which at an extremely responsible if not cheap price. Along with a great foodie atmosphere and barrels of fresh fruit.

But when you move past the excitement and dreams being made true, you must focus on the people. Of course everyone wants business and so everyone is trying to call you into their shop…but everyone in America wants business…and I’ve never once been summoned into a shop with pleads and smiles. And if you do decide to do business, you are greeted with the grandest of smiles, the freedom to bargain, and astounding hustle that any middle school basketball coach would be proud of.
Never before have I been outside of my country, a tourist, and been welcomed in so happily just the way I am. If you go to France or London, you better attempt to learn their culture and blend in, or it’s a low stride of shoulder shoving and under the breath comments in your future. But in Hoi An, as long as you have a good spirit and of course the business, then it is nothing but 100% gratitude in your future.

Or when we stepped out of the market, and into the culture (classroom) we were greeted with ecstatic enthusiasm and pride to share their culture. We as a group traveled to an organic farm and there I struck a friend. Always lingering in the back of the crowd, for I am not one for the ‘rush and shove’ and don’t take in the surrounding when drowned in a sea of photo flashes, I met a local farmer. She was probably about 70 years old and picking crops for that day’s market. As she picked her, what smelled to be, oregano and basil she would walk up to me with a gleaming smile and ask me to smell, as I did I saw a sparkle of pride in her eyes.

Then we traveled our way to go sailing on the river. An activity that many people, when visiting Hoi an partake in, though the second we arrived there was nothing but laughter and excitement for our presence. And in a final stop we went to a manufacturer who made things with bamboo by hand. One of the creators was standing with me in the back, and he began talking to me, asking me the basic questions like where am I from, and then I started to ask him questions. Not only did he speak great English, but he also was so open and pleased to be sharing information and background knowledge on his life’s work. He showed me the parts of making a bamboo bike and even let me graze along a finished product. He was open about income and prideful on his life’s job.

I’m just having the most riveting time learning about other cultures, and other people. It’s just like Pocahontas says “Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon. Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned? Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?” You don’t know the people, until you are with them. And then you see such glory and astonishing attributes.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.