Mayhem in the Streets of Hanoi

Hanoi is the capital of Vietnam and the country’s second largest city. Along with my peers and two faculty/staff, we, as a part of Elon University’s study abroad program, in collaboration with CET Academic Programs, have spent the last five days in one of the most beautiful cities in Vietnam. After just returning from the world famous Halong Bay, it is safe to say that my fellow Elon students and I have been blessed with a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Upon arrival in Vietnam, we had the opportunity to explore the Old Quarter of Hanoi for a couple of hours before taking an actual tour of the central Hanoi area with our Vietnamese guide, Vu. One of the first observations that I made, which has stuck with me throughout the duration of our trip thus far, was the absolute mayhem in the streets of the city. With a population of roughly 6.5 million people, I would argue that the city of Hanoi is populated with more motorbikes than people. When you walk on what would typically be known as a sidewalk, you are immediately struck by the fact that sidewalks are also used for the purpose of a parking garage. There are motorbikes everywhere. From being parked on the sidewalks to cluttering the streets, I have never witnessed such chaos. I am not exaggerating when I say that I fear for my life each and every time that I cross the street in Hanoi. It appears that there is no rule of law. When you walk the streets of the city, you will notice traffic lights; however, a red light does not necessarily mean that motorists are going to stop. You are forced to keep your head on a swivel if you don’t want to be road kill. The Vietnamese traveling via motorbike, although it may appear extremely unsafe and extremely chaotic, are quite talented, to say the least, at dodging bodies and other motorists. I can say with ease that I will and would never ride a motorbike in the city of Hanoi. From the looks of things, without practice and familiarity with the city, it is a sure deathtrap to be riding a motorbike in Hanoi. The craziest part is that the Vietnamese appear so accustomed to what looks to be madness. Just a part of the everyday life here in the city I guess. For example, as we were walking taking in all that is around us, from the street vendors to the stray dogs, and from the thousands of motorists to the hundreds of shops, we saw two city workers walk out into the street (right in the middle of all of the mayhem). One of the Vietnamese men was carrying a bamboo ladder while the other was carrying a small traffic sign. The one worker placed the sign in the middle of the road while the other set up the ladder to be able to reach the electrical wires hanging in the middle of the intersection (see pictures attached). Without even thinking, the one man held the ladder while the other began to climb in order to take care of the problem with the wires. It was amazing the lack of fear that these two men had standing in the middle of an extremely busy intersection while taking care of the electrical problem. It was a sight to see that’s for sure.

Regardless of the mayhem that one witnesses upon walking the streets of Hanoi, the city itself is incredible. It is a place like no other and a place that I cannot compare to anywhere else that I have traveled. The Vietnamese people are so accustomed to their everyday life, as would be expected, but the lack of regard for safety throws me for a loop each and every time I step out of the hotel. We will see what else Vietnam has in store for my fellow peers and I as we travel to our next destination, Hoi An in central Vietnam.

768769

This entry was posted in Hanoi. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.