Experiencing Life in Hanoi

I have always been a person fascinated by culture. The lifestyles and perspectives of the Vietnamese population are not only interesting, but eye opening as well. Although I have traveled numerous times to diverse places, nothing has taken me by surprise as much as Vietnam has. The people, the food, the atmosphere, the work ethic and the everyday social norms of Hanoi all contribute to the country’s uniqueness. As I stepped outside the hotel, I was immediately struck by the overwhelming activity taking place. Hundreds of motorbikes covered the road as vendors engulfed the sidewalks. There was so much to take in at once, that I needed a minute to collect my thoughts. While collecting my thoughts, I was bombarded by a persistent street vendor selling a random assortment of souvenirs. It wasn’t her persistence that struck me, but rather how she carried her souvenirs. All of the weight was put on her shoulders from a bamboo piece that held two weaved baskets. The two baskets must have weighed at least twenty pounds. It was then that I realized how hard it is to make a living. The expression “breaking backs” has never rang more true. These individuals’ livelihoods are dependent upon tourists like us. I was taken back by the large population of women who earned their living this way.

After being shocked by the grueling lifestyle of street vendors, my attention immediately turned to these tiny plastic tables and chairs. They seemed so random, but as I watched numerous locals gather with friends or family chowing down on pho, a staple noodle soup in Hanoi, I became so intrigued. Who would have ever thought that child size plastic seating would be the place to be as a Hanoi local.

Nothing was as overwhelming as crossing the street though. Safety is not something that is prioritized here. Motorcyclists do not stop for pedestrians. They ride until they are a nerve-wracking inch or two away from pedestrians or fellow motorcyclists. Cars are not as common and the speed limit is quite low. Motorbikes crowd the streets and even the shopping alleyways. There is no respect for walkers. Although many might find this bike population to be overwhelming and chaotic, I find it to be a fascinating whirlwind. It adds to Hanoi’s pulsating energy.

The thrill of crossing the street is calmed by the friendliness of the people. Despite the language barrier, the Hanoi locals make you feel welcomed and appreciated. Their smiles and eagerness to communicate prove Vietnam’s uniqueness. Majority of locals spend their entire day trying to make a sale. According to the Women’s Museum, some wake up as early as four in the morning to go to the markets to have the freshest supplies ready for the day. They usually do not return home until everything is sold. You would expect them to be miserable, but they are nothing less than happy, optimistic individuals. The Hanoi locals are just as fascinated by us as we are them. They love practicing their English and getting to know the American culture, just as much as we want to learn theirs.

Life in Hanoi is unlike anything I have ever experienced. From visiting Ho Chi Minh’s mausoleum to exploring the ceramic factory, it is clear to see that Vietnam has a rich history. Hanoi is chaotic, fun, and breathtaking all at once. To say it is eye opening would be an understatement.

This entry was posted in Hanoi. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

One Trackback

1. By cbd việt nam on May 4, 2020 at 3:30 am

cbd việt nam

blog topic