Discoveries Off the Beaten Path

Before traveling to Hoi’an, I only knew one thing about the city. Like most of my colleagues, I was eager to obtain handcrafted clothing that was the fraction of the price found in the United States. While I was able to add some suave new items to an already impressive wardrobe selection, I was able to gain so much more. Through my transactions, I immersed myself in the rich tradition and culture the city has built itself upon. I was able to observe a strong commitment toward family, and a desire to support the community as a whole.
During our first full day in Hoi’an, my friends and I decided to take bikes into the city. We planned to grab some food and head to the tailor that was recommended to us by the hotel. Halfway into town a man and a woman on a motorbike began to ride along side us. After we exhausted all the possible small talk that come from two people who don’t speak the same language, she revealed that she is a tailor. I agreed that I would visit her shop but told her I needed something to eat. She brought us to her sister’s resturaunt located conviently right next to her shop.
The resturaunt and shop were a family run business and every member played a role. I profoundly remember this expierience and not just because I got tailored blazer that would make GQ look like a local department store. I chose to avoid the heavily encouraged shop and learned that it is small businesses off the beaten path that are the true cultural blood of Vietnam. The people of Vietnam have learned not only how to support themselves but their community as a whole.
This entry was posted in Vietnam. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

4 Trackbacks

1. By Affiliate Marketing on February 17, 2021 at 3:24 pm

Affiliate Marketing

Discoveries Off the Beaten Path

2. By bed bug on April 6, 2021 at 7:55 am

bed bug

Discoveries Off the Beaten Path

3. By best way to advertise to millennials on April 16, 2021 at 11:23 pm

best way to advertise to millennials

Discoveries Off the Beaten Path

4. By Content marketing St. Petersburg on April 13, 2023 at 6:01 am

Content marketing St. Petersburg

Discoveries Off the Beaten Path