Tourism in Hoi An

Driving back from the city of Da Nang just four days ago, I had the opportunity to sit by a window on our charter bus. Outside my window, I saw vast stretches of land with the ocean water peeking out in the horizon. We had been driving along Vietnam’s coast for the majority of the bus ride. With the sunset shimmering gold on the land, I found myself enjoying the scenic tour almost as much as a Halong Bay sunset, almost.

A Stretch of Serenity

And then it hit me….

P1000964

P1000962

All this land was set aside for resort and hotel development! At one point I saw a fence that literally had endless pictures on display of all the resorts that were to be built over the next few decades.  I couldn’t count all the plans even if I tried. Suddenly my peaceful day dreams of sprawling out under the Hoi An sun with miles of beach to myself were shattered by my worst nightmare: crowded beaches. Our tour guide, as if on cue, then confirmed my realization.  Hi explained that the tourism industry is continuing to expand so much that ten-year plans have been implemented for the development of resorts along the beach. He told us, “It makes me very sad.”

I don’t blame Hi. So far, I have found that I like Hoi An a lot more than Hanoi, and will probably like it more than Ho Chi Minh. This is because there are fewer crowds of people clogging the streets, there is less smog, and there is more nature with better scenery. The one disappointment of this town is the excess of tourism. Our resort is beautiful, but I feel as though it is not very representative of Vietnam. (Unless, of course, you consider tourism to be apart of Vietnam’s “culture.”) Hanoi felt more authentic because there were fewer tourists. I considered that the locals perhaps did not mind the tourism, because it brings in more business. Hi, however, confirmed my exact thoughts when he said it made him sad. He gave me significant insight into the minds of the Vietnamese. While tourism may benefit their country, the changes are also heartbreaking for their traditions and culture.

This entry was posted in Vietnam. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Trackback

1. By Golden Rama on October 10, 2015 at 10:01 am

Golden Rama

Tourism in Hoi An