Debbie Silverstein’s biographical service statement

A huge component of this course in South Africa is the service that we will do there. In past years, students have left amazing footprints behind and done things to truly change people’s lives. This year, we will have a totally new group of students, each with their own talents and interests to bring to the group. This offers opportunity for even more footprints to be left in different ways and improve the lives of others. I am interested to see what each of our classmates has to bring to the table and how they can help with the service we will do there.
Personally, my strengths have always been with children. I am an elementary education major and I love working with kids in any way possible. I have babysat, volunteered with children, been a coach for many different sports and of course worked with them in schools and classroom environments.
In South Africa, I hope to work with children in any way I can. I’m particularly interested in the “educare” companies that help provide safe and nurturing environments for children in day care and as they progress through early schooling years. I also think the adopt-a-student programs are great, as well as the literacy campaign. I would love to have the chance to work with some students, especially those that are struggling, and help improve their academic and reading skills. This semester I am taking a literacy course all about struggling readers and I would love to be able to apply what I have learned here to help with students in South Africa. I have been tutoring struggling students in the area with their reading and it would be great to have a chance to do this in a foreign country as well.
Overall, for me, my service contribution will definitely involve children and/or education in some way. These two components are extremely important to me and something I plan on working with when we are in South Africa.

This entry was posted in Class of 2010. Bookmark the permalink.