Who is responding so far? A call for international participation.

Who is responding to the survey so far?

Although about 80% of the respondents to the survey report being from the United States (top state so far: California), the remaining 20% are from 44 (and counting) different countries around the world including Malta (1), New Zealand (8), Nigeria (1), India (4), and Norway (3).  The top country thus far (excluding the US) is Canada (105).

Nations in the Middle East are totally absent to this point, and, as with many nations, the fact that the survey only exists in English remains an issue.  I am open to any suggestions as to how to reach out more effectively.

If any of the leadership of atheist organizations around the world would like access to the data specific to their nation I will be happy to accommodate, but to make the data meaningful we will need many more respondents. Blog, Tweet, Facebook, etc. the link to the survey to people in your nation and let’s work together to better understand the world of atheists.

Here is the url for the survey:   http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HDJ5C6L


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.


  1. Posted December 31, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

    I agree with MikeN. The country of residence I indicated in the survey is not the country I was born in. My agnostic believes were cultivated in my country of origin as I am from Eastern Europe where atheism was the official ideology before the fall of the communism. However, at that time I didn’t consider myself an atheist and only identified with atheism when I moved to North America. A question about the geographic area of origin needs to be added to the survey. Also, you may want to add a question asking whether relocation from one country to another played a role in adopting or developing atheist believes. This may be a factor for people who move from more conservative societies to more liberal ones.

  2. Posted December 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

    Not many from the Middle East … perhaps because some of the countries where you find expats in the region aren’t even on the list of options. Call me aussie in the meantime though 🙂

  3. Posted December 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

    I responded “Taiwan” because that’s where I have lived for the last twenty years, bit I am a Canadian- that’s where I grew up and where my beliefs (including atheism) were generated.

    It might lead to misunderstanding if my result was seen as “here’s an example of what a Taiwanese atheist thinks”.