The South African Worker

Prior to being in South Africa, I often wondered what similarities the country would have with the United States. Although Africa seems like a rural mystery to a lot of people, South Africa has proved to share many characteristics of home. Aside from the English language, the abundance of KFCs and a mild climate that is reminiscent of Florida (my home state), I have found South Africa to also be a melting pot of sorts. Many people around the world see America as an opportunity to better their lives and provide for their families, and in many ways, Africans from neighboring countries share this sentiment about South Africa. People come from a variety of situations and obstacles to start a new life through South African employment.

Before our first venture to the market near our hotel, Dr. Layne told us that many of the vendors are not South African, but instead have come to live here from neighboring countries. In the process of trying to bargain for the cheapest possible price for a Springbok jersey, we have learned a lot about many vendors’ lives. Most have been in South Africa for a number of years but very rarely do you find someone who was born here. A vast majority coming from Zimbabwe, these merchants work tirelessly from 10am to 5pm, setting up and breaking down their tents each day.

Yet in talking to people everywhere we go, I’ve found that these immigrations aren’t unique to the marketplace. A large majority of taxi cab drivers, waitstaff, hotel staff and other “locals” we interact with on a daily basis all seem to come from somewhere else. It is interesting to note that although apartheid officially ended a number of years ago, it still seems as though the majority of workers in the service industry are black. In the week that we’ve been here, I’ve only had three white waiters and one white taxi driver. I was told from someone on the trip who has a colored South African friend that this is primarily because immigrants are easy hires who don’t have to be paid as much or given benefits. It is difficult to think about that while watching how dedicated these people are to their jobs. I have never come across such a friendly, hard-working and passionate group of people as I have found within the South African worker.

In my opinion, the South African melting pot makes for a unique community. Everywhere we go, we have learned first-hand the importance of a strong community here. This is especially seen in the townships, where parents look after each other’s children and neighbors take care of neighbors. Although coming to South Africa to escape a variety of different situations, all immigrants are seeking to better their lives through employment opportunities here. While this is similar to the diverse American population, I think that we could learn a few things from South Africans about dedication, persistence and a strong sense of community. I would challenge us all to take a lesson from these incredibly powerful people and learn to take better care of one another.

This entry was posted in Class of 2013. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The South African Worker