What’s worth more: a good price or a good cause?

Before leaving the airport in Dulles, I had a list of souvenirs that I was determined to set off and buy for our families and friends. My mom wanted an authentic bracelet, my dad wanted a FIFA world cup hat, my brother wanted, well, anything really and the list goes on. I think many of us assumed to see malls with plenty of high-end shops or flea markets resembling those found all over the United States. Instead we found a variety of both. Some stores were found in a small shopping center like in Hermanus, some were stationed in a warehouse at the Waterfront, others were simply just tables lined up on the street as in the township in front of the traditional healer or at the harbor near Seal Island. No matter where we travel, I have seen the same goods for sale. There are the carved wood animals of the “Big 5”, the handmade jewelry, the beautifully painted bowls and tea cups, the marvelous canvas paintings of township life, the unique 3-D paintings that incorporate garbage for a 3-D effect, etc. I have learned that although everyone sells the same products, there are vast differences that accompany each location. So far on our journey I can break down the craft markets into four different categories and explain what I have learned and the internal dilemmas I have faced in this economic downtime. The breakdown is as follows: stores, street vendors, the artists’ stands/organized markets, and community centers. For simplicity, I’ll compare three common items throughout the four categories and their average prices for those savvy shoppers (However as I have learned, the price does not always affect the sale). I will use a wooden bracelet, a South African soccer jersey, and an 18”x12” canvas painting. All of which are found everywhere in Cape Town.

Stores

We first began our journey here in South Africa at the Waterfront, an impressive shopping mall and dining area with a beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean and Robben Island. As a compulsive shopper my eyes lit up when I saw the hundreds of stores in this money. Fortunately, I had no rand and could not buy anything! However, that did not stop me from checking items and prices to get a feel for how I would have to budget my money during the three weeks. The wooden bracelet, soccer jersey, and painting were about 60 rand, 560 rand, and 300 rand respectively (equal to about $9, 80, and 43 respectively) in the stores. These prices do not seem outrageous by any means, but I assumed that the prices were inflated because not only was I in a tourist town, but in the most visited place in Cape Town! I would only expect to find high prices and be unable to bargain, the best part of the craft markets. With no bags in hand, I left the waterfront with an idea of the retail prices of the items that I wanted and was on the lookout for some good deals.

Street Vendors

The second day took us to a small craft market with about ten to fifteen street vendors stationed in front of the harbor where our boat awaited us to go to Seal Island. I want to first mention how ingenious the locations of these craft markets are; they are found at the largest tourist locations such as the Waterfront, Seal Island, Penguins at Boulder, the townships, Nelson Mandela square, and so on. Occasionally a few vendors will pop up randomly but for the most part they are strategically placed designed to capture the eye and the wallets of the tourists. In fact, I noticed that we would enter a place in a township such as Vicky’s Bed and Breakfast, and walk out to miraculously find three street vendors awaiting your exit. Strangely all of the vendors seem to be males who claim to be the actual artists and try their absolute best to persistently persuade travelers that pass by.

Not only is their convenience appreciated, but the prices are what captured my eye. As a tourist new to the area, the street vendors were very intimidating and they all had different prices for the same items! After comparing those prices to the stores, I quickly learned that bargaining is an essential tool used to keep our money lasting as long as possible.  Bargaining here is extremely easy; ask a price, ask for about half, meet about halfway, and sold. But watch out for those sly salesmen. This is their livelihood and they do know what they are doing. However, if you play your cards right you can get a wooden bracelet for 25 rand, a jersey for 350 rand, and a canvas painting for 80 rand (all approximate prices). Street vendors are by far, where I have seen the best prices and deals. If you are looking to save a few dollars on your vacation, plus enjoying the culture of bargaining this is where you want to spend.

Artists’ stand/Organized Market

On a more expensive end, we found the same souvenirs at more organized, official craft markets. The biggest example I came across was the craft market found in a large warehouse at the Waterfront. Most of the people sitting at the tables were the actual artists who ranged from black males to white females. I am sure you are wondering how we know this. Well, we sat and watched multiple people actually make their craft such as the canvas paintings. Now I am not saying that every person was responsible for their items being sold, but the people seem a little more legitimate. Unfortunately soccer jerseys were not sold here, but wooden bracelets could be found for about 40-60 rand and the paintings started at about 140 rand. The prices really seem to be hit or miss (and bargaining was not accepted), but the work is extremely authentic.

Community Centers

The last grouping is the one that has affected me the most emotionally. We have visited places like the Langa cultural center and a women’s health center in Philani. Both teach members of the townships how to make pottery or rugs or aprons, etc. and then sell these products to the tourists that come through. They are situated as “gift shops” in cultural centers or larger facilities. The items are relatively one-of-a-kind pieces and have the artist’s name either on the product or on the tag. There is a personal touch to this type of business that can not help but draw in sympathy and compassion from the wandering visitors. Again, the soccer jerseys are no found here but a wooden bracelet was about 55 rand and a canvas painting was about 120 rand. These prices are not spectacular by any means, but they do not vary much from the organized craft markets or even the stores. However, the cashiers tell the customers that up to 90% of the profits go to the actual artist. Now take a woman at the Philani center for example; one of her rugs is sold for 140 rand. She could theoretically make 126 rand off the purchase which is enough to send two children to school for a month and still have money left over to feed her family or pay bills. Of course, I am taking all of this on good faith that we, as visitors, are being told the truth behind these organizations that are built to improve the community’s skills and financial situation.

Taking a step back, these community centers do not offer the best prices and do not allow bargaining but as a tourist how much does bargaining really affect the price? Sure you can get a price down a few 20 rand or so but in the end it only adds up to a $3.00 difference. Small differences can add up and leave your wallet fuller than expected, or you could invest those $3.00 into the townships, where the people need it most, and still walk away with a genuine piece of artwork behind a good cause.

I have only just discovered a few of the shopping opportunities available here in Cape Town and have noticed that the location drastically affects the price and whether bargaining is accepted or not. What is the same however, are the products sold. Knowing my four different categories as who is selling what, why, and how much, I leave you with the question of what is worth more: a good price or a good cause?

This entry was posted in Class of 2010. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to What’s worth more: a good price or a good cause?