Biographical Service Statement

My name is Susan Cogswell and I’m a senior art major with a concentration in digital art and a minor in business administration.  I want to go to graduate school to become a lower/middle grades art teacher.  To tell you a little bit about myself, I have been an active member and on the executive board of The Art Guild as the secretary/treasurer since 2008.  The Art Guild is a student organization which hosts art exhibitions on campus and runs art workshops.  Also, in the spring of 2007 I pledged my sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, which has been a source of many wonderful friends.

I am so excited to travel to South Africa for my final winter term.  I have been fortunate enough to travel to Europe and China in the past and I have to say, I am more excited about studying in South Africa that ever!  I firmly believe that this course will be the ultimate South African experience and that if I were to try to make this journey on my own it would be lacking.  One of the things I am most looking forward to is the internship we will be completing in Cape Town.  I hope to work at the Christine Revell Children’s Home.  This is an experience that would be unique to South Africa and a wonderful way to benefit the local community.  Working at the children’s home will also help me gain valuable experience working with children, which is a skill that is crucial to my future career.  I am also excited about being able to work with children of all ages, since I am open to teaching children ages 5-14.  If working at the Christine Revell Children’s Home is not an option, because it seems to be a popular choice, I am not concerned, any experience working with South African Youth will be fulfilling

This entry was posted in Class of 2010. Bookmark the permalink.