Biographical Service Statement: Christy Schmidt

The first reason that I began to look into South Africa for Winter Term was the opportunity that I would have to participate in various service programs.  Having gone to a Catholic high school, I have been participating in community service and service learning for the past six years, and have enjoyed every single minute that I was involved in these projects.  To me, the concept of giving and receiving experiences that can change lives is amazing, and is one of the most worthwhile ways of learning.

I was very impressed to learn that Dr. Layne began the Adopt-A-Student program in South Africa, as I had assumed that it was a program that Elon students had simply embraced while traveling there for Winter Term in years past.  I was also surprised to learn that it only costs $40 to support a South African child’s education for a year, and that in 2009 enough money was raised to support 155 children.  These facts made me proud to be a part of this program and excited to join in the opportunities that I would have to serve.

The service opportunity that particularly struck a chord with me is the Christine Revell’s Children’s Home, where I hope to obtain an internship while in South Africa.  I have done extensive research on the organization and feel a strong connection to its mission of “striving to nurture and develop every child in need, and work towards their successful re-integration into a family and the community.”  For my senior service-learning project, I worked at school for the year, tutoring and spending time with the children in one classroom.  I learned so much from this experience, and was thrilled that I was able to give back to these children and teachers who benefitted from our aid.  I would love to have the opportunity to work with children in South Africa who have been abandoned, abused and neglected.  I know that I will benefit and learn a tremendous amount from this experience, and I can only hope that I will be able to give back to this children’s home that needs all the help that it can get.

I am tremendously excited to travel to South Africa and continue to deepen and improve the imprint that Elon students have left in the country in years past.  I have heard only wonderful things about the experiences that students take away from this Winter Term trip, and I believe that the least we can do is to leave as much behind with them as we will take away.

This entry was posted in Class of 2010. Bookmark the permalink.