Dwarrick Blog 11

After these three weeks of class and all of the different things I have learned about our heroes, real and fictional, my views on heroes have changed. Originally, one of my favorite heroes of all time was Braveheart. I loved his drive for revenge and how he fought with nothing to lose, but now I have a new favorite hero, Melba, from “Warriors Don’t Cry”. She was part of the Little Rock Nine, the first African Americans to attend a white school in Arkansas. Melba was just a young teenage girl who was mostly unaware of the significance of her situation. With the guidance of her grandmother, she was able to resist lashing back at those who mocked her every day. This display of courage was much bigger than her. Knowing this, she did what she had to do to help rid segregation in schools and set a foundation for young men and women like herself to build off of.

What I have learned is there are all different kinds of heroes, and there were not any that we did not talk about that I cannot now interpret and dissect on my own. I went back and looked at who I chose as my hero for our first blog. I chose Derek Jeter because I believed he is a great role model on and off the field and he inspires many to believe in what they do and succeed. I believe he is a cultural hero for his influence on our society. No matter how little his actions may seem when compared to some heroes, he himself has overcome challenges in his life, and has made decisions to now help others in need through volunteering and charity work.

This entry was posted in Blog 11 "Final Credits". Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

I agree with you, because of this class, my favorite heroes can also be found in the unit 3 section. I liked that we studied Melba because I had never heard of her story before and it is very inspirational. You are correct to say that even though your hero, Jeter may not seem as important as others, he is a hero and this makes him great. Good post!