Arhine Final Credits

In class, we discussed many different types of heroes such as epic, tragic, folk, anti, reluctant, and cultural heroes through literature and film. Out of the heroes though my favorite was anti-hero V from the film V for Vendetta. V is a mysterious character that is always lurking in the shadows committing crimes throughout Great Britain to show the people how corrupt the government really is. V doesn’t care who he offends in the process because he is obtain a personal goal and seeking revenge for the pain and suffering the government put him through. Most heroes are always the “nice guy” that comes in saving the day always following the rules, but I find the anti-heroes more interesting because they go about things in their own way to get the job how they see fit. Also, this was the first time I had seen this movie and my good friend is obsessed with it and now I see why.

While we went through a variety of heroes there were a few that we didn’t talk about in class that I wish we would have. I love movies like The Dark Knight, Spiderman, Iron Man, and The Avengers. While we may have brought this films up in our class discussions, I wish we would have been able to watch and analyzed more movies like these because they have great action scenes and are always entertaining. It’s interesting to me seeing the comic book versions of these stories and then watching the film that after to really see the story come to life.

The hero I wrote about in my first blog was Mister Fantastic from the Fantastic Four movie. In relation to the term monomyth, or hero’s journey, I think this does apply to the story of the Fantastic Four. Mister Fantastic was originally your average smart scientist named Reed Richards until her was exposed irradiation by cosmic ray giving him knew capabilities. The capabilities him and three other friends receives gave them a chance to fight battles for their people. Mister Fantastic also fits some of the criteria for the list of common ingredients need for a hero such as destiny, final battle, romance, etc. The Fantastic Four’s destiny is to take control of the villain Doctor Doom, which they are successful in accomplishing. Out of all the heroes, Mister Fantastic is a folk hero because he is a normal person that was transformed by a significant event. Without the explosion that occurred Mister would just be Reed Richards forever and not have special abilities.

This entry was posted in ELYSIUM. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

4 Comments

1. Posted January 21, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Although V was my favorite hero, it was interesting reading how he was yours because I didn’t really look at him from that point of view. I also agree that it would have been cool to watch newer action movies about heroes. Good reasons why Mister Fantastic can be related to the term monomyth. Overall, good post.

2. Posted January 21, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

I agree with the fact that we discussed superheroes such as superman and spiderman in class but didnt really discuss anything in depth about them. For me in particular I would have liked to discuss the story of superman more because I didnt really get in to the comics or stories about him when I was younger.

3. Posted January 22, 2013 at 12:38 am | Permalink

I said a lot of similar things in my post about V but I liked how you talked about how he was a hero who wasn’t always the good guy. I guess I wouldn’t have come at it like that since I like him and don’t think of him as a “bad guy”. Also agree that I wish we could have looked at more superhero heroes, but at the same time I liked how we weren’t stuck on the heroes in tights.

4. Posted January 22, 2013 at 9:15 am | Permalink

I really enjoyed how you analyzed your favorite hero V from V for Vendetta. Although he wasn’t always a “nice guy” like most heroes, he exhibited actions of greatness to fight for what he believed in. I also agree it would have been cool to discuss superheroes a little more.