Strager Hero 8

A question I have been asking myself a lot in regard to if a character “good” or “bad” is whether they are truly harming others for a reason, or would they be doing so regardless? For instance, does a soldier just want to kill or are they killing in order to save their country? This is where I separate the line. If a death toll becomes collateral damage (not in the civilian sense) to a hero standing up for their rights, I understand and accept them more. V doesn’t torture Evey simply because he is sadistic, but rather to prove a point and help her overcome her fear. He does, what many consider, the wrong thing for the right reason.

I also completely agree that one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter. In all classes on warfare, we cheer when our “side” defeats the enemy, regardless of the brutality, but shudder with disgust when our enemy inflicts similar pain on us. We see William Wallace as a hero, but if he had just as many men as his enemy troops, would we still be cheering for him? Men betrayed him and instead of recognizing that people make bad choices and mistakes, he brutally killed all seventeen of them. That mentality to most, resonates much more with terrorism than it does with righteousness.

This entry was posted in Blog 8 (Jan 15) Terrorists? Outlaw? Justice?. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 15, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

I think you bring up some very good points with the fact that a terrorist is in fact another country’s freedom fighter. If we think about the Japanese Kamikaze’s and the honor they had recieved for dying for their country, they are easily represented as heroes in their culture.

2. Posted January 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

I found that your comment regarding an action as “the wrong thing for the right reason” was very insightful. I also talked about this relative to V’s actions, because they do fit the literal definition of terrorism. However, his actions were conducted for the greater good of the people. I really enjoyed your blog and thought it was well written.

3. Posted January 15, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

I like your point you make about Braveheart and rooting for the underdog. I think a lot of times we see the weaker force as being the victim.