Jordans Blog Post 4

In my opinion Beowulf is team saint, although his tone at times can be pagan like. Throughout the entire text Beowulf makes it clear that God plays a role in his victories. For example he says this about killing Grendel and let him getting away to die in the swamp.

“Less his body escape; I was wholly unable,

I could not keep the monster from escaping, as God did not will that I should.

Since God did not will it, to keep him from going,

Not held him that firmly, hated opposer;

Too swift was the foeman. Yet safety regarding

He suffered his hand behind him to linger,

His arm and shoulder, to act as watcher”

It would have been easy for Beowulf to brag and boast about his own might and wit for killing Grendel. But he is very aware about that God plays a role in his feats, in this particular quote he lets the Danes know that if he could have prevented Grendel from escaping he would have. But since it was not in God’s plan he could not do so. This acknowledgement lets readers know that his mind is clear about his belief that God provides Beowulf the ability to do the great things he does. Had God not defended me. I failed in the battle

“ Aught to accomplish, aided by Hrunting,

Though that weapon was worthy, but the Wielder of earth-folk

God was fighting with me. “

This is another quote from the poem showing that Beowulf knows God has to be on his side in order for him to succeed. In this quote Beowulf is explaining his victory while giving props to his top notch sword he does not forget to pay homage to his faith. These two quotes show just how impressive Beowulf is as a christian, even with all his heroic deeds he makes sure to mention the reason why he has truly achieved these impressive feats. With all this said, these reasons are why I am Team Saint when analyzing Beowulfs’ character.

This entry was posted in Blog 4 (Jan 8-9) Team Saxon? Team Saint?. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

2 Comments

1. Posted January 9, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

This was an argument I did not think to use. I am on your side and I think the climax of the story more shows his Christian side.

2. Posted January 9, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

You’re right about Beowulf saying he needs God on his side. While Beowulf definitely has hubris and believes in himself, he’s very thankful about God as well.