Dwarrick Blog 4

It can be argued that Beowulf is Pagan due to some evidence, but Beowulf is more likely to be Christian. We see many examples of this in the story. The earthly gifts that come from God like the sword in the cave wall are the first example of Gods role in the story. Secondly was the protection that they received from God himself Beowulf had even said “The fight would have ended straightaway if God had not guarded me”. God decides fates in this story and chooses to protect who he desires.

Beowulf is portrayed to be Christ like in the story his actions follow those of Christ. Not so much in the beginning of the story, but more towards the climax Beowulf’s character becomes more Christ like and, like we discussed in class, this is believed to be a result of who may have finished or edited the writing. There are a number of bible references in the story including Grendel being descendent of Cain. In the bible, Cain is an enemy of God just as in the story Grendel is an enemy to Beowulf.  Therefore, I am Team Saint.

Rating: 6.0/10 (1 vote cast)
Dwarrick Blog 4 , 6.0 out of 10 based on 1 rating
This entry was posted in Blog 4 (Jan 8-9) Team Saxon? Team Saint?. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

I completely agree with you. Beowulf is viewed as pagan, but has many Christian reference like I talked about in my blog as well.

2. Posted January 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I agree as well. There are definitely some similarities to the story of Christ.

3. Posted January 9, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I used that very same quote. I think saying that God, an almighty being defended Beowulf leads me to instantly think he is much more of a Christian