Kmeyerhoff Blog 3

As a Knight, Gawain did uphold many of the expectations put upon him.  One code of Chivalry that I think Gawain displayed very well was the one stating “Live to serve King and Country”.  Since Gawain was a Knight, it can be assumed that he had been faithful to his King and Country.  Knights are people that physically protect their country.  Also, Gawain showed his loyalty to his King and country when he decided to accept the challenge from the Green Knight.  By doing this, he has spared his King of whatever may come from the challenge and has shown his loyalty to defending his country and King.  There were no other Knights that stepped up which showed how chivalrous Gawain was.

A rule from The Art of Courtly Love that I found interesting was “Nothing forbids one woman being loved by two men or one man by two women”.  I thought this was interesting based on the actions of Gawain towards the wife at the castle.  When she tried to seduce Gawain, he seemed to reject her based on his respect for the master of the castle.  Although I do agree that you should not engage with someone else’s lover, it was not against the rules.  Therefore, it can actually be said that Gawain did not follow all of the rules.  However, I do think that Gawain’s choice was more chivalrous, honest and respectful.

This entry was posted in Blog 3 (Jan 7) Knights. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted January 7, 2013 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

I think it is realistic that two different people can love the same person and that many of the rules under The Art of Courtly Love are not completely realistic. But I do agree that Sir Gawain was completely loyal especially since he had a lot of expectations put upon him. I feel a lot of other men would not have acted the way he did in any regard.