Whitehead’s Hero

The hero that I most connect with is Batman, specifically from the recent film The Dark Knight.  Initially within this film, he is widely accepted and almost worshiped.  With his success in the first film, the people of Gotham City are inspired by him and believe in his efforts/actions.  However, within The Dark Knight, he eventually makes the decision to become hated and despised by the citizens of Gotham.  Batman chooses to accept this role within society so that the “greater good” may prosper and actually gives up the hero title so that a more acceptable person can gain it.  He gives up his image and reputation so that the city can put a face with their hero, and therefore become fully inspired to take fight against evil.

Along with the most basic criteria of a hero as discussed in class, Batman fits the profile.   He truly cares about the people within the city and helping the greater good, that he ultimately sacrifices for.  Batman is also deeply invested in the city, both monetarily (irony) and personally.  I am always willing to sacrifice so that the greater good may prosper.  Specifically, the greater good in my mind is individual and team success.  As a member of the baseball team, I sacrifice myself and parts of life so that not only I succeed and achieve my goals, but so that the team can progress and achieve our goals.  I also, am willing to be hated so that things may be accomplished.

This entry was posted in Blog 1 (Jan 3) Introductions. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

9 Comments

1. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

I am also a member of a team at Elon and I liked the connection that you made between the hero and a team member. For me, when I make a sacrifice for my team it does not always feel like a sacrifice because I know it is going for the greater good of the team I love. I had never thought of this parallel before, but now I wonder if heroes are just as happy and willing to make sacrifices for those around them as I am for the members on my team. Good post!

2. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

I like your connection with Batman, I’m also on a team at Elon , so I see where you are coming from with the whole sacrifice idea. Batman is a good example because he is always looking to help the greater good and always invested in other people. Solid post.

3. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Hey David! I chose Phoenix from the X-Men series as the hero that I most resembled but Batman is my absolute favorite hero. I completely agree with you in your discussion of his selflessness and loyalty toward to city of Gotham. While his fortune ultimately provides him with the means to protect his city with cool toys, his determination to rid the streets of evil separates him from just another self-righteous billionaire. He definitely supports the “lone ranger” hero theory and doesn’t always play nice with others…but that’s okay because he’s Batman.

4. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Great connection with Batman and your status with the baseball team. Like some of the other comments, I am also a member of a team at Elon. People do not understand the personal struggles and commitment it takes to achieve success. Your post really identified a clear connection with yourself and batman.

5. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Hey David! I chose Batman as well, and found a similar connection with him as well in regards of sacrificing desires for the greater good. I found that Batman is incredibly selfless, and I strive to be like that when it comes to every day things (which is a struggle for me).

6. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

I chose spider man and he the same as batman cares about the people of his city and would sacrifice himself for the great good of others. great job

7. Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Batman is a very noble hero like you said. I think the choices he makes for the people is amazing and more people should think like that. Putting others before yourself can sometimes be difficult so I commend you for thinking this way!

8. Posted January 3, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Batman is certainly a great hero. In the Dark Knight, he always fights for the greater good, even when this means risking his own reputation. He also fits the criteria for being a hero very well, especially in his unique childhood story which tells how Bruce becomes Batman. Great Post!

9. Posted January 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

That’s a good point about sacrificing for the greater good. On a team, it’s almost always imperative to sacrifice a little bit for the team to win. Batman risked and sacrificed his reputation with the big picture in mind, a trait that separates the good from the great.