Study Abroad: It’s More than Just a Stamp in Your Passport

Study abroad was probably the number one thing that I was looking forward to in college – and it was also one of the top reasons I chose Elon.  Four years ago there were so many places I wanted to travel (there still are!), and I knew that study abroad was the first step to seeing the world.  Elon offers so many opportunities to experience other cultures.  I promised myself that I would study abroad at least twice during my four years at Elon.  I have stayed true to that promise, spending one semester in Florence, Italy and spending a winter term traveling to Dubai and around India.

It was this past January that I went to Dubai and India.  When choosing between the 30-something winter term study abroad options, I eliminated any programs that visited countries I had already been to (most of western Europe) and narrowed my choice down to places that I could never imagine visiting on my own, without a guide, or in this case a professor.  My final choice was a course titled Business and Culture of the Indo-Gulf – a program that traveled to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and to six different cities in India, including Delhi, Agra (location of the Taj Mahal), and Mumbai.

Elon University’s president, Dr. Lambert, and his wife, Laurie, joined us for five days of our trip, traveling with us through Delhi and Agra, India.  During the five days with the Lambert’s we visited the biggest monuments of Delhi – Qutub Minar, the world’s largest free standing brick minaret; India Gate, constructed in memory of the Indian soldiers that fought in World War I; and Humayun’s Tomb, the building that the Taj Mahal was modeled after.  The Lambert’s also accompanied us to the Taj Mahal, the most iconic building in India.

Our most memorable experience with the Lamberts was visiting Salaam Baalak Trust, a shelter for street children.  The shelter is the equivalent of a boy’s orphanage in the United States, except the children there are not adopted.  The Lambert’s and our group of 28 spent the day touring the shelter and surrounding area.  Throughout the afternoon, we played games with the boys and did crafts – the boys illustrated different scenes like their favorite things, what they like to do after school, and what they want to be when they grow up.  Despite the language difference (most of the boys only spoke Hindi), it was an amazing and rewarding experience.  As Dr. Lambert emphasized, it was a day that made all of us realize how truly fortunate we are.  Although the Lambert’s only spent five days with us, they also had a true winter term study abroad experience – spending a few days with the other two programs that were in India.

Someone could lecture and talk and show pictures of the places that we visited over our three-week trip, but nothing will ever compare to seeing it with your own eyes.  Every place we visited was different than the others and completely different than any place in the United States, or any other country, I had ever visited.  Needless to say, it was an eye-opening  learning experience – one that I will be sure to remember  my whole life.   Elon provides so many opportunities for students to study abroad – between summer programs, a variety of winter term options, and semester long programs – you can go almost any where in the world.  And with over 70 percent of Elon students choosing study abroad to fulfill their Elon experience, it is a popular option.  My piece of advice to any student interested in studying abroad – choose your study abroad experience based off the location, not the class or classes offered.  I guarantee that you will learn things in the classroom, but you will learn more from what you experience outside the classroom.

-Elizabeth Bushelow ’12 from West Chester, PA
Elizabeth was an Admissions University Guide during her time at Elon. She majored in Strategic Communications, with minors in Psychology and Italian Studies. Her favorite things about Elon are the size and location. “Elon isn’t too big or too small. I know a lot of people everywhere I go, but still see new faces every day. I love being in the south and enjoy beautiful spring days by doing homework or just hanging outside.”

*Pictured: Elizabeth and Laura Bondi with Mr. and Mrs. Lambert at Qutub Minar in Delhi, India.

This entry was posted in Elon Experiences and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.