Featured Counselor of the Week – Kaitlin Carlin

Kaitlin Carlin is our featured admissions counselor of the week! There is more to her than just her admissions responsibilities (which include territory management, working with our campus visit program and supervising our guide event staff). She was a former tour guide herself, loves Elon and has a major sweet tooth (we don’t hate it). Enjoy!

Hometown: Williamsburg, Virginia

Graduation Year: 2010

Territory: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont. I also work with our campus visit program and guide event staff.

Major: Strategic Communications; concentration in International Communications and Advertising

Favorite thing about Elon: Our passion and community spirit. Elon students are involved in academic activities, clubs, and sports not because they have to be, but because they are genuinely EXCITED and passionate about those things. There is such a strong sense of community involvement that it really feels like a family. You support each other’s events, engage in meaningful academic exchanges, and collectively fall in love with Elon – each in your own way. What more could you ask for from a university that will be your home not just for four years, but for life?

When I’m not working, where can you find me? I love cooking and trying out new recipes, so you might catch me in the kitchen. Otherwise, if it’s nice out, you’ll find me doing something outside (reading, relaxing, working out, being on the water). If I could have an outdoor office, I would!

Fun Fact: I studied abroad in Denmark and would do anything to go back. Jeg elsker Danmark!

Favorite place to eat in Elon: Colonnades dessert bar. What can I say, I have a wicked sweet tooth! Off campus, I love The Root. I may or may not be in love with their fried brussel sprouts…

Best thing about my job: I think there is something really intriguing about the transition from high school to college; it’s a very new and exciting time in someone’s life. I enjoy counseling students through this period of change, but I have to say that sharing in a new acceptance to Elon is absolutely the best part. There’s a really raw mix of excitement and nerves and relief and anticipation that I think we all can relate to, but I get to experience it firsthand with each student coming to Elon. The thrill of knowing they have four amazing years in front of them, and that I had some hand in it, is an incredibly gratifying feeling. As an alumna and first generation college student, there is a deep sense of pride in welcoming another into our phoenix family.

Favorite TV show: I’m slightly ashamed to admit I’m a sucker for the Bachelor/ette series and any of the Real Housewives…but on the flip side, I LOVED the “Hatfield’s and McCoy’s” series on the History Channel. I like a mix between mindless reality TV and meaningful documentaries/movies.

Favorite quote: Ever heard of or seen “The Holstee Manifesto?” Google it.

Kaitlin Carlin

This entry was posted in Admissions Staff, Welcome and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.