Learning to Bargain

Spending a week in Hoi Ann and adapting to the transition of the Vietnamese cities to the countryside gave me a new perception into the Vietnamese culture. As we were blown away by the beautiful beaches and riverside village we roamed the Ancient village in search of souvenirs and bargain deals. For Hoi Ann tourists, buying a custom made suit or dress is a must-do. The clothing and silk industry is one of the main economic sources for the local people, and many shop keepers rely on tourist sales for their income.

As an American, when I go shopping I am used to buying products at their retail price. I know that when I want to buy an item I either accept the price set by the retailer or choose not to buy the product. However, shops in Hoi Ann do not share this same similarity. Whether it was in the small local shops or the large commercialized tailors no price was set in stone, meaning that the consumer had the power to dictate the price of their desired item.

After meeting some of the local people and visiting local shops this was a cultural difference I had a hard time understanding. I felt uncomfortable with the fact that I was bargaining between one or two US dollars just to try and get a lower price or to feel like I wasn’t being ripped off. However, in reality that one dollar would have meant so much to the shop keeper, which made me feel as though I was robbing or cheating the Vietnamese shop owner from their livelihood.

As we continue our journey without Vietnam I continue to realize how much bargaining is apart of their culture and as tourists we must learn the trade in order to become apart of this unique and vibrant country.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.