Goodbye, messy planners; hello, Homework App Sync

Posted on: March 9, 2015 | By: Aurora Albi-Mercier | Filed under: Instructional Technologies, Teaching & Learning
The view of the app, when using an iPhone.

Since the spring semester has started, I figured that it’s time to buckle down and focus on the work at hand. This semester, I have been adamantly against the idea of purchasing a planner partly because I’ve had a personal New Year’s goal of becoming more technology-focused, and partly because I am trying to be more “green.” In all of this explanation, I ended up deciding upon “The HW App Sync,” a class assignment planner listed under the Educational apps in the iTunes store. So far, (when I remember to actually put my assignments in), I have found that the app is very clean and simple to use.

I should first start off about the other app that I had originally found, “The Homework App” (minus the sync). The difference between the two apps is that Sync allows “syncing between multiple devices, tags, multiple reminders, social networking, enhanced subtasks, and enhanced interface,” according to the developer’s website.  The Homework App Sync has an in-app upgrade for $2/year, which eliminates ads, allows you to add subtasks and instructor details (professors/teachers contact info), allows for picture notes, as well as unlimited tasks & subjects.

This app is great for high school and college students who want to stray away from traditional paper planners. The basic app is free, but the upgrade is well worth it.  Personally, I think integrating technology into education is the way of the future. One other great feature is the app is available in the following languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish.

The app when using it on the iPad. This section shows the current work to be done.

Adding tasks

Adding a task is almost as satisfying as being able to swipe it off the screen telling the app that you “finished” the task.  Physically inputting a task is pretty simple. To begin, tap the + sign in the upper right hand corner.  It will bring you to a screen that allows you to put a task name, subject, due date, and any reminders.  On this page, you are also able to add subtasks, tags and any notes that you feel are relevant.  The app is clean and user-friendly, which has helped me keep my assignments in order.  While adding a task, I typically try to put in as much information as I can, the task name, subject, due date, and any reminders.  A neat feature is you can place a priority level on each task; the options are: low, medium or high. When it comes to sharing the task, I usually keep my sharing on “private,” but I’m sure there are benefits to joining the larger public community.

The calendar shows a varying number of dots on each day to show how many assignments are due that day.

The calendar

Using the calendar feature reminds me a lot of my iCal on my laptop. The benefit of the calendar in the app is it doesn’t have my lunch plans or work plans jumbled into it. I really like that I can see just the tasks that I have due on a particular day, without all of the other junk getting in the way. The calendar also allows me to see how many tasks I have due on a particular day, which helps me know if it’s going to be a busy homework night or not.

The dislikes

I really don’t have any dislikes in this app if I’m being honest. It has all of the functions that I need. However, I do have some suggestions on how the app could improve. I would like it if the app would automatically sync instead of me having to manually sync it when I change devices. I know that this is a small feature, but I sometimes forget that I need to manually sync and I have a small panic attack that my assignments deadlines are missing.

Final verdict

While using the app, I’ve discovered that I really enjoy the flexibility of the app as well as the ability to organize and change my assignments without having to scratch out or re-arrange anything in a physical day planner.  I’m going to continue using The Homework App Sync. I enjoy the fact that I can sync between my phone and tablet, and I like how I can move all of my due dates around without dirtying up a traditional planner. Using this app makes me feel organized and environmentally-friendly. Goodbye paper planners, hello The Homework App.

Aurora Albi-Mercier

Who knows what I'll end up doing later on in life, but for now I'm just a twenty-something who likes to be busy and wants to learn yoga. I'm also trying to teach myself to love tea... (but I have to admit, I prefer a good cup o' joe.)

More Posts

Follow Me:
TwitterLinkedIn

One response to “Goodbye, messy planners; hello, Homework App Sync”

1. Grace Joseph says:

since it’s features are more than the incapabilities of the homework app you’ve listed, one can easily overlook them and try out this app. It’s cool features can sure help out.