Is Apartheid over? Will Apartheid ever be over?

Sydney Griffin

Blog #2

1/25/15

Apartied was officially over after the year of 1994. However through the eyes of South Africa’s people the apartheid laws continue to leave a psychological scar on present day minds. As a psychology major I found this very intriguing.

By casual conversation and experiences with locals, I have found that the people of the South Africa still segregate and classify themselves by color, as if the apartheid law were still in effect. I did not witness much mingling of the races, I found that there was a division of labor based on color, and even I was classified into categories of people.

There are small laws or expectations that create a barrier between the races. I few examples may include 1) Toll charges into wealthier neighborhoods, 2) the media’s representation of beauty- which is described as European features, 3) the existence of the continued townships, 4) and the continued racism between the groups.

Just to provide a specific example of racism, I have had a particular experience that related to the unfairness between the races. During our visit to Cape Town, Jen went into a Jewelry store that sold exquisite diamond and Tanzanite stones. In this particular area, all of the Jewelers had a protective metal gate outside of the door that only opened by an electronic button inside the store. They each also consisted of at least one security guard waiting outside. It was relatively easy for the security guard to let us in the store however no one could help us at the time. Each jeweler was busy with a customer so Jen and I decided to browse around the store. 15 minutes after we arrived, A black man asked the security guard and waited to be let into the store. It was clear that this man was neither homeless, nor a criminal by his clothing and exceptional manners. He was wearing Business attire and was wearing leather loafers. Politely, He asked the security guard again as well as owner if he could enter the store and shop. Without much pause the owner responds, “ There is no one available to help you”. They let the man stay outside for another 10 minutes before they let him in. For that moment, I knew that the only difference between our circumstances was the color of our skin. During this ordeal, I was dismayed, as I knew that this was a result of racism that still lingers in the countries borders.

From these small instances alone, I was very surprised how little the races are integrated. Why are people still struggling with these residual feelings of separation? My personal belief is the simple fact apartheid ended relatively recently. Many of the people that endured the separation races are still living today and can attest that this was a hard event to overcome in South Africa. They may or may not still believe that apartheid was a good thing. Others may have adopted this way of life and are not exactly sure how to live together in harmony. Lastly, the last few years of apartheid were the most deadly and produced to the most violence the country has ever seen. These images still resonate with people not just South Africans but people all over the world.

Unfinished business:

We have discussed on multiple occasions that the United States and South Africa are going through the same revolution, just on different time lines. The Apartheid Museum is a physical reminder of the mistake and pain of yesterday. The old news videos, exhibits and documentaries contain great knowledge and food for thought to ensure social equality. The United States has been a mentor of South Africa in which they have utilized the same method of protest as the civil rights movement in America. I recall that one of our speakers mentioned the Ferguson trials, something that has recently been happening in the United States. Clearly Both countries are still working hard to make great leaps of its own yet, both still have a long way to go.

With that being said, I do believe that South Africa can reach a better day much like the United States.

This entry was posted in Class of 2015. Bookmark the permalink.