Is being houseless the same as being homeless?- The homeless population of South Africa

Homelessness is a problem that is faced worldwide. Because of this, it is often assumed that being homeless is the same in all cultures. Even within the short time that our class has spent in South Africa, it is clear that homelessness is different here than it is in the United States. The types of people who are homeless, the culture of these people, and how they live are all different in South Africa than they are in the United States. Comparing the homeless population of South Africa to that of the United States exposes the differences between these two cultures.

My home is near Philadelphia, and every time I visit the city I see people who are homeless. These people are usually dressed in dirty clothing, and in the winter are bundled up with whatever clothing they can find. They also usually carry their entire lives with them, including clothing and cardboard or plastic which they use as shelter. Of the homeless people that I have seen in South Africa, I have not noticed any of them carrying around bags of personal belongings and clothing. Though it is summer here and the weather does not require one to wear multiple layers of clothing, I had expected that I would see those who are homeless with large quantities of personal items as I have seen in the United States. I am not sure the reason for this. It may be that the people I have witnessed and thought were homeless actually have a home or place where they can store their belongings. Or it could be that these people only have the clothing on their backs and nothing else to call their own.

Not only do the homeless people that I have seen in South Africa carry fewer items on them, but they also behave differently than homeless people in the United States. Most homeless people that I have seen in Philadelphia sit on the sidewalks with a cup for donations from people who walk by. Sometimes these people will ask for spare change, but they are rarely aggressive about asking for money. In the time that I have spent in South Africa so far, I have felt almost attacked by several homeless people begging for money. I have been asked many times for donations, but when I have replied with “No,” the person continues to ask for money aggressively. There have even been instances where a homeless person has followed me and a group of friends for a few blocks before finally giving up.  People begging for money can also be found at outdoor restaurants, harassing people for food or money as they eat their meals. This aggressive behavior not only demonstrates a difference in the homeless cultures of the United States and South Africa, but also highlights how desperate the homeless people in South Africa are for a source of food or money.

There may be several reasons for the differences in behaviors that can be observed by homeless people in South Africa and the United States. One of these reasons could be that there are different types of people who are homeless in these two places. In America, much of the homeless population has become homeless due to drug addiction or mental illness. It is not uncommon to see a homeless person in the United States who is talking to themselves, or who has a half empty bottle of liquor in their hand. In South Africa; however, the homeless population seems to be overall less affected by mental illness and drugs. Though I am sure that some of the problems that these people face may have to do with drug abuse or mental illness, I have yet to witness a homeless person in South Africa that I immediately thought was high on drugs or suffering from a mental illness. The homeless population that I have observed in South Africa seems to be mostly a result of unemployment and the continuous cycle of poverty rather than drug abuse and mental illness.

It is difficult to speak of poverty and homelessness in South Africa without mentioning black townships and shanty towns. Though some black townships are developing, most still consist of almost entirely small shacks build from plywood and tin. These shacks are about the size of a small car, and most look like they are about to fall over. The people who live in these shanty towns are extremely impoverished and have very limited access to food and clean water. Surprisingly, however, the people that I have met that live in these shanty towns have a very positive outlook and are proud of their culture. There is nothing that could even compare in the United States to the shanty towns that can be found outside of all major cities in South Africa.

Before visiting South Africa, I did not think that there would be a difference between the homeless population that I have seen in the United States and the homeless population in South Africa. However, there are several differences between the two. The immediate appearance of the homeless people as well as the amount of personal belongings is perhaps the most visual difference between the two populations. Upon further examination of the homeless population in South Africa, it becomes apparent that the homeless culture is different than that of the United States. Homeless people in South Africa are much more aggressive about begging for food and money than homeless people in the United States. Also, the South African homeless population seems to be less affected by drugs and mental illness than that of the United States. Perhaps the most outstanding difference between the two homeless populations is the presence of shanty towns in South Africa. However, the outlook and attitude of the people living in the shanty towns raises the question of whether these shacks can be considered a suitable home. Does a person need to live in a house in order for them to have a home? Or can these shacks be a sufficient place for people to live? Homelessness is a complicated issue that plagues cultures around the world, and South Africa is no exception.

This entry was posted in Class of 2010. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Is being houseless the same as being homeless?- The homeless population of South Africa