Shay Thomas Introduction

Hi y’all! My name is Shay and  I am from Charlotte, North Carolina. I am a double major in International Studies and Political Science, and am minoring in Poverty Studies and Social Justice. I am a Cummings High School Mentor, Best Buddies participant, Resident Assistant in the Global Neighborhood, member of the LEAD Program, and D.E.E.P (Diversity Emerging Education Program) peer mentor. I graduated high school with a standard diploma as well as a second diploma in Global Education. In high school I was involved in a few mentoring programs and a few service organizations, where I was able to work closely with children of all ages and further their education. In my spare time I like to hang out with my friends, travel, and cook.

Last year, I was lucky enough to stumble upon the Periclean Scholars Program on my own. I was looking through the Elon University website in attempts to find a list of the clubs on campus when I saw a reference to the Periclean Program. Having an avid interest in both international affairs and community service, I read the Periclean site and went looking through the Periclean Scholars blog to see what being a Periclean Scholar was all about. When I had learned more about the goals of the program, I decided that I had to apply. I was really nervous applying for the program because I did not know any other members and didn’t know anyone else who was applying. A few weeks later, I was thankfully accepted into the Program!

I am really excited about being a Periclean Scholar because of my interests in becoming a global citizen and service work, but also because being in this program allows me to branch out and meet other students who are interested in the same things as myself. I love learning about different cultures and human rights issues and I want to continue to expand my global education that I began in high school.

I am looking forward to learning about Namibia, forming strong bonds with the other Pericleans, and above all, executing our final project senior year!

This entry was posted in Class of 2017-Namibia, Partners-All Classes. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

One Comment

1. Posted April 10, 2015 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks a bunch for posting!