Olivia Gibson Introduction

996055_666537170033643_1269533478_n

Hi! My name is Olivia Gibson and I am from Ellicott City, MD (which is about 10 miles outside of Baltimore). I am deciding between a major in Public Health or Psychology and I am on the pre-health track. I first heard about the Periclean Scholars Program in my global class at the beginning of last year and was immediately impressed by it. I am very interested in human rights and was inspired by the work of other classes to apply so that I could make my own impact and help those in need.

One of the many factors that influenced my interest in Project Pericles is my passion for service. I have always loved doing service work, and thought that Periclean would be a much bolder way to serve others than I have in the past. I am thrilled to be a part of a program that works to bring about social justice.

When I heard about Periclean, the only thing I knew about Namibia was that it is in Africa. After looking it up I quickly became attached to the idea of helping its people. I am fascinated by other cultures and am looking forward to delve into the culture of Namibia. My main expectation for this semester is that we will be educating ourselves as much as possible about the country. Hopefully, we will become experts by the end of the semester and start to form ideas of how we want to help the Namibians. I expect the process to be very challenging, but I am optimistic that at the end of it we will be proud of what we have accomplished. I am looking forward to see the lasting impact that we will make and am very grateful to be a part of the class of 2017!

This entry was posted in Class of 2017-Namibia. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.