Getting to Know You

Last spring, the Periclean Scholars class of 2016 gathered for the first time to be inducted into the program. Advice was given, pledges were spoken, and I think every member of the class of 2016 was wondering exactly what we had gotten ourselves into.  Now, we have started the process of figuring that out. At the ceremony, I can remember being told the importance of bonding with my fellow classmate, as they were going to be my partners in this crazy and wonderful experience. My mentor even brought it up later when I was grilling her about the program.

September 4, 2013, the ‘16s meet for our third class. After discussing some housekeeping issues (who wants to go see Instructions not Included with me?) we went over our individual identity collages.  The class has over 30 members, and we all want to effectively work together as a team. As advised by our predecessors, getting to know all 33 people is a crucial step in achieving this goal. Therefore, our brilliant and fearless leader, Professor April Post, assigned us a project in which we were to create a collage “of images that show the most important components of who you are”.

While everyone was sharing their masterpieces, I noticed some common themes. Service, family and relationships, travel, and education were brought up in nearly every collage. This should not be surprising since these components of our identity are the same components that drew us to apply to be in the program. Naturally, we would be compelled to include these characteristics when describing ourselves.

But more important than the things that unite us, are the differences found in the collages. My classmates brought up their passion for microfinance and pop culture, their background in theatre, the life-changing time they translated Spanish for high schoolers, aspirations to go into dentistry as a career, or personally, my dedication and pride for my Ultimate Frisbee team. These differences are going to be our strengths, and the aspects of each other we rely on over the next three years. These differences are going to make the class as a whole, and the project we ultimately end up doing, more successful. For that, I am thankful for the array of experiences, passions, and personalities represented today.  And I cannot wait to discover more about my classmates as we continue on our Periclean journey.

The ‘16s have an adventure packed week coming up. Monday we’re discussing major historical and political events that shaped Honduras as well as current events happening in the country.  After that, we’re taking a Honduran cooking class! Check back for updates from  my classmates on how all of that goes!

Much Love,

Kerianne Durkin

This entry was posted in Class of 2016: Honduras. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

One Comment

1. Posted September 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Yes! I think we are taking our predecessor’s advice seriously and intentionally getting to know one another and what everyone’s strengths and passions are. I really learned a lot about the class and what makes each of you unique. Good perspective Kerianne.