Vineyards on the Scuppernong

By Dannie Cooper, 2013

The Vineyards on the Scuppernong sit right on Route 64 in Columbia. The large grape-shaped sign along the highway makes the Vineyards store stand out, yet the real appeal of the shop is on the inside. When I entered, the first thing I noticed was decor.  Pictures of the vineyards hang along the walls.  The natural look of the wooden wine tasting station and small coffee shop contrast with the brick walls.  Natural light floods the room, leaking in from the second story skylight.  The shop is quaint, unique, and undeniably beautiful.

I headed over to the tasting counter where I met Gail, who has been an employee of the Vineyards for four years.  She offered me a tasting of their wines as part of their free tasting policy, in which anyone can taste their wines within the shop.  As I sampled the Vineyard’s Girls of Summer, a white muscadine wine, Gail told me of the history of the Scuppernong grape.  In 1584, Sir Barlow and Sir Armadas, members of Sir Walter Raleigh’s expedition, discovered muscadine grapes along the Scuppernong River.  The men praised the grapes for their taste.

There are 250 varieties of muscadine grapes – the Vineyards grows 16 types – which are known for having 40% more antioxidants than the average grape, as well as an extra chromosome that is responsible for their sweet taste.  The scuppernong grape is one variety of white muscadine grapes. The taste of the grape might account for the name of the Scuppernong river, which translates to “plain where the sweet bay grows” in the Algonquin dialect.

I could taste the difference in their wine.  Girls of Summer tasted clean and crisp, with a nice grape flavor.  Being a fan of white wine, I can honestly say Girls of Summer is my –thus far –  favorite.  I also sampled Simply Scuppernong, which is their scuppernong grape wine; Jack Ass Red, which is a sweet red muscadine wine; and The Vineyard’s White Zinfandel, which has a white raspberry accent.  All of these wines shared the clean, crisp taste of muscadine grapes.

Gail also told me about the history of the building.  Built in 1912, the building originally served as a fire station, followed by a fire station-town hall for several years.  In 1940, during World War II, people used the second story skylight to spot German planes.  After being abandoned for several years, Jack and Grace Bishop, a builder and real-estate broker, purchased the property along with the 300 acre property along the Scuppernong river to renovate and resell it.  However, their plans changed, and, in 2008, the Vineyards produced its first wine.

Since then, the Vineyards have taken great care in creating their award winning wines.  The Vineyards have had seven award winning wines, including a Bronze medal from the Atlantic Seaboard Wine Association for their Simply Scuppernong label.  I share the enthusiasm for the Vineyards’ wines, and even purchased three bottles.

Vineyards on the Scuppernong is a charming winery.  Its decor is attractive and its friendly atmosphere is welcoming.  Their label is good, and their various awards speak for themselves.  But most importantly, the Vineyards are full of history, a history it shares with Columbia and with North Carolina, and that is what truly makes the Vineyards unique.

For more information, please visit the Vineyards on the Scuppernong website: vineyardsonthescuppernong.com