VARGAS BLOG 11

The past three weeks we have learned about various characters that I would not have considered placing in the “heroes” category like Sir Gawain, Confucius, Addicus, and Melba. I would say there actions and decisions were beyond great, especially what they went through but coming into the class, my idea of a hero was people like Hercules, Perseus, Superman, etc..

My favorite hero that we discussed however, would have to be Odysseus because his journey was pretty epic. His battle at troy, then his journey to the cyclops island, and fighting sea monsters kept me going throughout the whole story. I always enjoy references to greek gods because they have always interested me since I was a kid so I can relate to them better than I could lets say Oedipus or Beowulf. Odysseus journey is long but you kind of grow with him and hope that he reaches his home and slaughter all the men that are trying to have his wife.

For my first blog I picked the hero “Flash”, the fastest superhero in DC comics. The monomyth can certainly be applied to him because he had a “different” birth, was put in an extraordinary circumstance and acted in an extraordinary way. I feel like any criteria he would be put through he would pass unless he was placed in a criteria for folk heroes, cultural heroes, or reluctant heroes simply because he is not an ordinary man that did something extraordinary. He is a forensic scientist who happened to gain superpowers during lighting storm and he became the Flash. But I would place him under the criteria of an Epic hero because he is superior to every other human just like any demi-god, and the criteria for an epic hero, he can meet.

One hero I would have liked to discuss about is Dante’s Inferno because i saw the movie and it was really interesting and caught my interest and I would have liked to be able to talk about him in and learn more about the deeper context of his story.

This entry was posted in Blog 11 "Final Credits". Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

2 Comments

1. Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

I absolutely loved Dante’s Inferno. It would be fantastic to analyze that book, but I don’t know how the topic of heroes would work into that. Maybe he is considered an antihero? I have no idea, but would have loved to explore that idea more. 🙂

2. Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

I appreciated your use of the word epic to describe Odysseus’s journey; great pun! It literally was an Greek epic poem that consisted of an epic adventure. I studied Odysseus in high school, but really liked studying him again from a different perspective. I felt that I was able to understand the story much better and enjoyed it a lot more. Thanks for the post!

One Trackback

1. By Homepage on June 12, 2021 at 1:58 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Informations on that Topic: blogs.elon.edu/examiningheroes/2013/01/23/vargas-blog-11/ […]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]