Phinney Blog 11

Over the past few weeks, I have really enjoyed being immersed in a world of heroes. Two of my favorite characters that we discussed were V and Melba. I had background knowledge on these heroes but had never studied them explicitly. V was one of my favorites because of what he symbolized. He was a voice that fought for freedom, representing all who were silent. He gave those silent voices courage, and they eventually took an individual stance. Melba was one of my favorites because of her initial reluctance and then full on dedication to the cause. It was so evident how passionate she was about integration and how her passion drove her to a career in journalism.

I have really enjoyed discussing an array of heroes. I cannot really say that there are additional heroes I would have added. The selection varied enough to appeal to a variety of tastes while still covering the types of heroes, in chronological order nonetheless. Kim Possible was one of the first heroes I discussed. After reassessing Kim’s character, the monomyth can be applied to her. In every episode, she faces obstacles that only she can defeat, bringing an end to evil and good to all. Although Kim saves lives, I would not say that she sacrificed as much as some of the other heroes we have discussed. Yet she is still a great hero, specifically a folk hero, just a normal girl transformed by significant events.

This entry was posted in Blog 11 "Final Credits". Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 24, 2013 at 6:55 am | Permalink

I used to love the show Kim Possible as a kid. I never thought of looking at her as a hero, but she definitely fits the qualifications.

2. Posted January 24, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I never considered Kim Possible as a hero really until you mentioned. Disney does not seem to promote their heroines as much as they do their heroes. I do agree with you, however. Every episode for Kim was a mini-journey where she learned lessons at home and “in the field.”

3. Posted January 24, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I also wrote that Melba was one of my favorite heroes. Thankfully she did not succumb to her reluctance and continued with the cause because the Little Rock 9 changed the world.