JHarris Extra Credit Blog

The quote by MLK that I chose was, “Everybody can be great… because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.” This is a quote from the last sermon that Dr. King gave at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia on February 4, 1968.

This quote is unique because it is completely true, yet so many people in our world today do not live by it. When I first read this quote I immediately thought of all the pressure high schooler’s have to attend college. Yes, for most people attending college is the “best option” but for some, they can be successful in what they have been called to do without a college education. Dr. King is right, we don’t actually need this degree to serve others. However, we unfortunately live in a world that is more consumed with serving themselves, which is actually really sad. Now I know that most of us probably put in our hours of community service, but I believe in this quote Dr. King is talking about serving out of the goodness of your heart, not because you have to for school or a club. In regards to the quote, I think the majority of people on this planet (including myself) have room for improvement.

Miller, Pete. “Martin Luther King Jr. — His Last Sermon.” Share Faith. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Jan. 2013. <http://www.sharefaith.com/guide/secular-holidays/martin-luther-king-jr.-his%20last%20sermon.html>.

This entry was posted in XC Blog "MLK in the World today". Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

I agree, our society today is focused on thinking if you don’t a degree then you can’t be as much use as someone who does. But there has been a lot of successful people who without a college degree have invented or started up businesses that we use and see today. As long as you have the determination to accomplish what you wish to do, then anything is possible for anyone who tries.