JHarris Blog 11: Final Blog

My favorite heroes were those that fell into the reluctant/ cultural hero discussions, specifically Ghandi and Melba. I liked learning about these heroes and their stories the most because they were the most inspirational. These heroes were real and we were able to read novels and watch movies about them that made their stories, successes and failures even more close to home. I also liked this section the best because it was history, but as we learned about these heroes I learned things I never had before. I also liked that the book Warriors Don’t Cry was a required reading, because I had never heard Melba’s story before. I think it would be neat to have Les Misérables added to the course because this story has so many plot and hero similarities with V from Vendetta.

For my first blog, I wrote about Simba from the movie The Lion King. I do believe that a monomyth can be applied to Simba’s journey. In fact, I believe he would be classified as a reluctant hero. Although he is a cartoon animal, he very specifically experienced “refusal of the call” which is one of the criteria of a reluctant hero. He did not want to go back to Pride Rock and save the kingdom. He also did not think his actions would benefit anyone, he only thought his return would cause more problems. This attitude can be attributed to the false humility that reluctant heroes sometimes experience. Lastly, Simba fits as a reluctant hero because he does not see the adventure of the opportunity to do good but he cannot escape the past and must live up to his calling.

This entry was posted in Blog 11 "Final Credits". Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

5 Comments

1. Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Les Miserables is my favorite movies/play/novel. There are many hero and plot similarities between V for Vendetta and Les Miserables. Jean Valjean, I think, can be viewed as a cultural/antihero. Even though he is loving and forgiving, he did break the law and defies the law more than once throughout the movie.

2. Posted January 24, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Like you, I had never read Warriors Don’t Cry and was learned new things with it. I like how you used Simba as a reluctant hero and his initial hesitance to follow up on his monomyth.

3. Posted January 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Great choices with Gandhi and Melba. Both were leaders in every way imaginable. Obviously Gandhi has been a well-known figure for decades, but I didn’t know much about Melba before the course and really admire the courage she had in such a rough time period.

4. Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

I also agree and think that Les Miserables would be a great addition. Jean valjean has to live with a disguise and it would be a great addition amongst other “masked” heroes like a group mentioned in class today.

5. Posted January 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

I like the reluctant heroes as well. I think what draws me to them is the fact that they seem more real and human. It is easier to identify with them.

One Trackback

1. comfort hotels holland america cruise lines delaware incorporation houlihans vassar college storage shed screen doors dwi lawyer consolidated credit counseling services credit cards for college students free credit repair champion mortgage psu charli…

JHarris Blog 11: Final Blog

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]