ARiesett Post 11 “Final Blog”

My favorite hero discussed in class this Winter-Term was Sir Gawain from Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. I found him relatable and humble. I appreciated him risking his life for King Arthur without being asked to do so. His Monomyth was the most interesting and it prompted a discussion between chivalry and love that was enlightening. As far as heroes not discussed in class, I think it might have been interesting to incorporate some recent films like from the James Bond or Harry Potter Series. It might be beneficial to have a survey on the first day of class asking students about some famous films and seeing how students interpret the heroes in these films. It would be a nice reflection at the end of the semester to see how much students have learned.

My very first blog post was about Captain America. I would categorize him as a folk hero because in the Avengers he was frozen in ice for hundreds of years and this is an example of a hyperbole. He also understands the average everyday American and is a champion for America. Captain America’s Monomyth is the he outlives time and continuously reappears in America during tough times to help promote pride in the Nation.  I think the class would have still considered him a hero and he would have been a good discussion had we talked about him in class. He could also be considered an anti-hero in some regards.

This entry was posted in Blog 11 "Final Credits". Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Comments

1. Posted January 22, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

I loved Sir Gawain as well but I wish there was a movie we could have watched after we read the poem because movies make things come alive. However, his story was interesting and even though it was not the easiest to read it was still very entertaining.

2. Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I agree, I think Sir Gawain really exemplified a humble hero which is really nice to see. It also helped to humanize him, which can sometimes be difficult with heroes.

3. Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

I completey agree, Gawain was an interesting character to read about because he was fierce yet humble.