sarahlittle blog 9

Anti Saudi Govt Protest in Mecca , Buraidah

On December 31st 2011, tens of thousands of Saudi nationals staged a protest in the oil-rich Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia to condemn the recent killing of a teenage demonstrator. Protesters were calling for the downfall of the Saudi regime. Protesters have held a multitude of demonstrations on an almost regular basis in Saudi Arabia. They have been calling for the right for freedom of expression and assembly, an end to widespread discrimination, and the release of political prisoners. However, the demonstrations have turned into protests against the Al Saud regime, especially since November when security forces killed five protesters and injured many others.

Saudi Arabia has been under scrutiny for how they have been handling the anti-regimes for the past few years; specifically recently when protesters were killed by their security forces. I feel as if the people of the Eastern Province are not overreacting because of the fact that their protests were completely peaceful. They were occupying the streets and chanting with signs, but otherwise no violence ensued until security became involved. Granted I believe there is more than meets the eye when it comes to this controversy, I am appalled that a peaceful demonstration/protest became a murder site. I think that the events to follow will definitely be negative and the once peaceful protest will become a violent rebuttal of retribution. The only way I suppose these protests will end is with the people’s demand being met.

This entry was posted in Blog 9 "Kings & Leaders" (Jan 16-17). Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

4 Comments

1. Posted January 17, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

A very interesting choice. I’m sure there are many other Saudi Arabian “ways” that we as American would say are worthy of protests.

2. Posted January 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

This protest makes me feel grateful that I live in the U.S. These people are protesting for rights that we already have and take for granted.

3. Posted January 17, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Its crazy to think about not having rights. I feel very blessed and its crazy how much we take for granted as Americans. I cant believe that how violent these protests have become.

4. Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

It is very interesting to examine protests that occur in other countries. Like other commenters have said, it makes you open your eyes and realize how lucky we are to live in a country where we have so much freedom.